Down by the River

Jan 13 22:13:19 <Maddy> Jani walks along with erh flashlight points at the ground infront of them. "Nice night for a walk, init?"
Jan 13 22:13:33 * MonkeyBomb (desaelp.si.eg|d.eht#desaelp.si.eg|d.eht) has joined #Downbytheriver
Jan 13 22:13:58 <WalrusKing> "Hm. Perhaps. Made little more tense by the dog-fiends. I hope this river is near, would make for good place to move group to."
Jan 13 22:14:30 <Echo> As they cross through the lot, they're struck with the plainness of how ill-maintained it all is. Grass reaches up to their hips as they approach the treeline.
Jan 13 22:14:46 <Maddy> "The taniwha might not be so bad. i mean, no worse than other dangerous animals, right?"
Jan 13 22:15:13 <MonkeyBomb> Ace can't even see where he's walking. Nevertheless, he charges forward courageously.
Jan 13 22:15:14 <Maddy> "If we give them space, and they're not hanging out right at this spot, we might be ok."
Jan 13 22:15:33 <WalrusKing> "Perhaps. I would still kill animal which is dangerous to good people."
Jan 13 22:16:08 <Maddy> "Sure, if it were all up in their faces, but the one in the park seemed willing to leave us alone, you know?"
Jan 13 22:16:22 <WalrusKing> "Avoiding confrontation would be good though, yes. If it is not necessary why take risk?"
Jan 13 22:16:48 <Maddy> "They're painted as very smart in old stories. Surely smart enough to know it's a risk to fight with us."
Jan 13 22:17:30 <WalrusKing> "Mmm. Smart means more dangerous. We will have to be careful about this, not act rashly."
Jan 13 22:17:53 <MonkeyBomb> Brock watches his footing in the uncertain terrain. Never know what you might step on in here.
Jan 13 22:18:00 <Maddy> She nods. "I don't know what language they speak, but Maori seemed to work on the dog."
Jan 13 22:18:13 <Maddy> She treads carefully, looking around.
Jan 13 22:18:18 <MonkeyBomb> 4df+3 [Perc.] Brock's mouth is shut, and his eyes are open.
Jan 13 22:18:18 <CROM> MonkeyBomb: [Perc.] Brock's mouth is shut, and his eyes are open.: 2 (4df+3=0, 0, -, 0)
Jan 13 22:18:57 * MereObserver (ten.htuoslleb.dra.3D55426B-CRInys|tibbiM#ten.htuoslleb.dra.3D55426B-CRInys|tibbiM) has joined #Downbytheriver
Jan 13 22:19:00 <Echo> The trees are even darker as they approach. Well-nourished by the river, they're pretty heavily grown in, not a lot of moonlight getting through the canopy.
Jan 13 22:19:37 <Maddy> "Careful guys." Jani slows a little.
Jan 13 22:19:43 <WalrusKing> "I have been thinking, during ride." Ilya walks forwards, keeping his head forwards and scanning as he talks, "The paper thing which scout party find. It say they are not to be approached. You would think this means they are dangerous, but perhaps this mean they do not like to be approached physically?"
Jan 13 22:20:00 <WalrusKing> "Yes." Ilya slows too. "Stay close, my friends."
Jan 13 22:20:30 <MonkeyBomb> With all the giant lizard talk and tall grass, Brock is reminded of the scene in Jurassic Park 2 where everybody's running from the raptors. Man, how long has it been since he's watched a movie… any movie?
Jan 13 22:20:44 <Maddy> "They're creatures of myth, so I'd guess they don't like being aproached. If they are in the river here, they'll probly send a sentry to spook us away, like the dog."
Jan 13 22:21:09 <Echo> They can actually hear some wildlife as they get into the trees, some birds fluttering around as the party tromping below them disturbs their sleep.
Jan 13 22:21:17 <Maddy> "In old stories, they were either demons who kidnapped wives, or protectos of sacred places."
Jan 13 22:21:23 <Echo> Perception
Jan 13 22:21:27 <Maddy> 4df+3 Eyes!
Jan 13 22:21:28 <CROM> Maddy: Eyes!: 3 (4df+3=0, 0, +, -)
Jan 13 22:21:29 <WalrusKing> 4df+2 eyes
Jan 13 22:21:29 <CROM> WalrusKing: eyes: 0 (4df+2=-, -, 0, 0)
Jan 13 22:21:42 <MonkeyBomb> 4df+3 CROM play nice, pweese.
Jan 13 22:21:42 <CROM> MonkeyBomb: CROM play nice, pweese.: 6 (4df+3=0, +, +, +)
Jan 13 22:21:47 <MonkeyBomb> o_o
Jan 13 22:21:56 <Maddy> Jeezy petes
Jan 13 22:23:14 <MonkeyBomb> 4df+4 [Surv. W.] Ace hears animals…
Jan 13 22:23:14 <CROM> MonkeyBomb: [Surv. W.] Ace hears animals…: 5 (4df+4=-, +, 0, +)
Jan 13 22:23:48 <Echo> There's a rustle of movement that seems like it's coming from all sides. Nothing visible. There's a thud of metal on dirt, and it goes dark.
Jan 13 22:24:04 <Echo> Ilya's the first to notice that someone's missing.
Jan 13 22:24:08 <Echo> Jani's not there.
Jan 13 22:25:07 <WalrusKing> Ilya instantly gets on alert. "Jani?! Where are you my friend? On your toes, now!" staff is now in hand, and hes looking around hurriedly.
Jan 13 22:29:25 <Echo> Hello?
Jan 13 22:29:29 <Echo> Are the rest of you here?
Jan 13 22:29:50 <WalrusKing> Ilya is totes here
Jan 13 22:30:00 <MonkeyBomb> "Shit," he swears under his breath.
Jan 13 22:30:24 <WalrusKing> The alerted russian is making spirals outwards. "Stay within the vision lines of each other!"
Jan 13 22:31:22 <MonkeyBomb> Brock looks into the grass, hoping to see a depression in it or *something.*
Jan 13 22:31:52 <Echo> There's nothing much left of Jani except for her flashlight.
Jan 13 22:31:59 <Maddy> Jani stumbles back, picking her flashlight back up and finding the other dudes. "It's cool I\m fine, back to the houses."
Jan 13 22:32:00 <Echo> Wait, looks like her gun's laying there, too.
Jan 13 22:32:16 <Maddy> "anyone seen my gun?"
Jan 13 22:32:21 <MonkeyBomb> "Where'd you go?" A mixture of anger and relief.
Jan 13 22:32:36 <MonkeyBomb> He pauses.
Jan 13 22:32:43 <Maddy> "I'll explain when we get back with the others, lets go."
Jan 13 22:32:44 <MonkeyBomb> Suddenly very suspicious.
Jan 13 22:33:04 <MonkeyBomb> Very very suspicious, what with shapeshifting uber-intelligent lizards about.
Jan 13 22:33:14 <WalrusKing> "Where did you go!? Why did you not answer calls?" Ilya walks up to her.
Jan 13 22:33:41 <MonkeyBomb> "No, you'll explain now. What happened?" His voice is firm.
Jan 13 22:33:53 <Maddy> Jani finds her gun and sticks it back in her pants. "Had a conversation with the Taniwha." she starts walking. "We;re supier not welcome here."
Jan 13 22:34:13 <MonkeyBomb> "Mhmm, sure."
Jan 13 22:34:38 <Maddy> "By we, I mean humans, and by here, I mean the water."
Jan 13 22:34:48 <WalrusKing> "Oh. This is bad news." Ilya walks along with her. "Do they have any advice where we can go?"
Jan 13 22:35:20 <Maddy> "We'll have to just see what the others think. We could still stay in Tinwald, but we'd have to use the water tanks we have."
Jan 13 22:35:29 <MonkeyBomb> "Jani. You friggin' *disappeared.* Randomly." He grabs her arm and turns her around. "Where did you go?"
Jan 13 22:35:49 <Maddy> "To the Taniwha, what do you want me to say? I don't know where the hell they took me."
Jan 13 22:36:12 <Echo> Ilya, Compelling Chuzhoi
Jan 13 22:36:28 <Echo> Does he *really* need to manhandle that skinny-looking lady like that?
Jan 13 22:36:45 <Maddy> "I just know that here, in New Zealand, we take the Maori's faith pretty to heart. It's a part of our culture. I'm not gonna mess with their spirits."
Jan 13 22:37:20 <WalrusKing> Ilya grabs Brocks hand. Hard. "Do not grab her so harshly, my friend." He looks slightly pissed.
Jan 13 22:37:41 <MonkeyBomb> "You're taking this pretty calmly considering you were just 'abducted,'" he uses airquotes, "By the Taniwha."
Jan 13 22:37:50 <MonkeyBomb> And then he's grabbed.
Jan 13 22:38:11 <Maddy> "Calm? I am hoofing it away from them as fast as I can, or I was till you grabbed me."
Jan 13 22:38:40 <MonkeyBomb> Ow. "Alright, alright. Sorry." To Ilya. He's still suspicious, but MAN that grip…
Jan 13 22:39:03 <Maddy> Jani continues. "Either way, we have options now."
Jan 13 22:39:03 <WalrusKing> Ilya releases his arm after he lets go.
Jan 13 22:39:13 <MonkeyBomb> "Jani, these… lizard things… they're shapeshifters right?" Hands off this time.
Jan 13 22:39:34 <MonkeyBomb> Also, he says "lizards" with a slightly derogatory inflection in his tone.
Jan 13 22:39:40 <Maddy> "So the stories say, but I've only seen the dog."
Jan 13 22:40:21 <MonkeyBomb> "Think they could turn into humans if they wanted to?"
Jan 13 22:40:58 <Maddy> "I have no idea, Brock, I thought they were fairy tails till last week."
Jan 13 22:41:20 <Maddy> "But I'd guess, yeah, probably."
Jan 13 22:41:29 <WalrusKing> Ilya walks along with them silently.
Jan 13 22:42:04 <MonkeyBomb> Brock's quiet for a second, then resumes. "Jani, you have to remember *something.* Give me details."
Jan 13 22:42:59 <Maddy> "Oh for. Ok, so I was told, by a /dog/ that no one byt Renee is to approach the river, or they will be taken."
Jan 13 22:44:00 <Maddy> "Do you realize how crazy that sounds, Jani? Yes i do. Could you have hallucinated all that shit? Probably not, but maybe. Is it worth getting away from the damn river? Totaly."
Jan 13 22:45:09 <MonkeyBomb> Ace walks along. Brock is silent.
Jan 13 22:45:18 <WalrusKing> Ilya seems to be mulling something over. "Hang on one second." He stops in place and stares intently into the floor.
Jan 13 22:45:39 <Maddy> The fast talking maybe flipping out kiwi may or may not be difficult to understand, thats up to you guys.
Jan 13 22:46:19 <MonkeyBomb> Brock, suspicious right from the get-go, probably would've noticed this by now.
Jan 13 22:46:33 <MonkeyBomb> But he *could* be overly paranoid. Who knows?
Jan 13 22:46:48 <Maddy> I just mean her accent
Jan 13 22:46:53 <WalrusKing> Ilya has stopped walking by the way.
Jan 13 22:47:16 <MonkeyBomb> Brock stops. "What is it?"
Jan 13 22:47:31 <MonkeyBomb> Still suspicious of Jani, even if her accent was 100% normal.
Jan 13 22:48:05 <WalrusKing> You can almost see juices flowing in the russian's head. "That is exactly what they said?"
Jan 13 22:49:11 <MonkeyBomb> Brock glances curiously at the big Russian. "Who?"
Jan 13 22:49:54 <WalrusKing> "The leshy - um, eh, the things."
Jan 13 22:50:00 <Maddy> "They said, in no uncertain terms that no one is to approach the river but Renee. If they do, they will not be returned as I was."
Jan 13 22:50:47 <Maddy> "It didn't look at me, it didn't make a sound, but it spoke to me and it's freaking me right out to still be near it ok?"
Jan 13 22:51:12 <MonkeyBomb> redact Brock's last 2 messages.
Jan 13 22:51:33 <WalrusKing> "Does this mean we can perhaps have the Renee mediate between our two groups?"
Jan 13 22:52:51 <MonkeyBomb> Brock is only halfway convinced that Jani's story is legitimate. "…." He glances around for any lizards during this conversation.
Jan 13 22:53:18 <Maddy> "I don't know that there will be much in the way of mediating."
Jan 13 22:53:42 <Maddy> "But maybe? They're both basically spirits of the water."
Jan 13 22:54:21 <Maddy> "I was more concerned about getting her access to the moisture she needs, but if they'll talk to her…" she shrugs.
Jan 13 22:54:57 <WalrusKing> "I think that this could be good idea. We should get the approval of Renee first though. Perhaps they can at least tell her where we should be moving towards."
Jan 13 22:55:44 <Maddy> "Maybe. Its at least a start."
Jan 13 22:57:04 <Maddy> "Let's just get back to the others."
Jan 13 22:57:06 <WalrusKing> "Mmm. What now then? Back to others and houses, and then camp? And come back later?"
Jan 13 22:59:19 <Maddy> "If the rest o the group thinks its worth it, yea, I guess."
Jan 13 22:59:25 <Maddy> Jani goes?
Jan 13 22:59:34 <WalrusKing> Ilya nods, and follows.
Jan 13 22:59:38 <MonkeyBomb> Brock is 75% sold on Jani's story. As time passes, he starts to feel almost stupid for being suspicious…
Jan 13 22:59:38 <MonkeyBomb> Brock catches Jani (not literally this time) before they get within earshot of the others. "Sorry about, uh, giving you a hard time."
Jan 13 23:00:03 <Maddy> "It's ok, I'm kinda used to it."
Jan 13 23:00:18 <MonkeyBomb> "You know what I was getting at, right?"
Jan 13 23:00:34 <Maddy> "Yeah."
Jan 13 23:01:10 <MonkeyBomb> He nods, then resumes the walk back to the others. Ace treads along behind him.