Futility

Sep 07 20:47:07 <Waxx> The rain is still coming down in a steady drizzle. Not so much to be a real hindrance, but enough to be a nuisance at least.
Sep 07 20:48:08 <WorkingDawn> Kay sighs and puts her book aside, her head starting to hurt form in. She steps outside and lights a cigarette, enjoying the rain…kinda reminded her of home.
Sep 07 20:49:26 <Waxx> «This is Strelnikov. Misha and I are on our way in from the patrol. Kay-Lee, I am running low on canned goods, I seem to remember there being a small shop not far from the hospital. Can you grab some for me before we get back? It will be out of our way.»
Sep 07 20:49:51 <WorkingDawn> «Anything specific Sir?»
Sep 07 20:50:13 <Waxx> «Soup, but whatever you think best. Do not make me regret saying that.»
Sep 07 20:50:56 <WorkingDawn> «I won't Sir, clear with you Corporal?»
Sep 07 20:51:34 <Waxx> «Say again?»
Sep 07 20:51:55 <WorkingDawn> «I was checking to see if Corporal was okay with it, Sir»
Sep 07 20:52:20 <Waxx> «Dodge Ridge is on bed rest as far as I am aware. That leaves Mrs. Dodge Ridge and myself in command.»
Sep 07 20:52:55 <WorkingDawn> «Copy, Sir. I'll take care of it.»
Sep 07 20:52:55 <Waxx> «It is practically across the street, do not worry. It will take you five minutes at best.»
Sep 07 20:53:03 <Waxx> «Affirmative. Strelnikov out.»
Sep 07 20:53:34 <Waxx> The building he's talking about is easily spotted from her position; it looks like a long abandoned convenience store, probably closed even before The Event.
Sep 07 20:53:53 <WorkingDawn> Kay grabs her rifle and puts on a jacket, then heads over to the little shop. She looks it over, glancing through the windows.
Sep 07 20:54:03 <Waxx> Some of the windows are boarded, but it looks like there's been traffic through it at some point recently.
Sep 07 20:54:18 <Waxx> She's able to find a way in through one of the windows where the boards have been pried loose.
Sep 07 20:54:49 <Waxx> As she moves, the rain picks up in intensity. Thunder peals and rumbles through the sky as heavy drops spatter on her head.
Sep 07 20:55:29 <WorkingDawn> "Son of a bitch" Kay slips between the board and brings her rifle up, scaning the area.
Sep 07 20:55:50 <Salmander> Redd swears and runs inside.
Sep 07 20:56:53 <Waxx> The building is a pleasant, if dusty, respite from the downpour. Lightning flashes give brief illumination, showing ransacked shelves with odds and ends scattered all over. There are a few canned goods left.
Sep 07 20:57:51 <WorkingDawn> 4df+2 double check before looking for soup.
Sep 07 20:57:51 <Glacon> WorkingDawn: double check before looking for soup.: -1 (4df+2=0, -, -, -)
Sep 07 20:57:58 * Gerald (~PI.06250957.C3AC2A01.0A6905B2|alliztahc#PI.06250957.C3AC2A01.0A6905B2|alliztahc) has joined #afteraction
Sep 07 20:58:13 <Waxx> The darkness is almost overwhelming. She's only able to see when the lightning flahes, and it only offers her glimpses of the building.
Sep 07 20:58:55 * Faminepulse (moc.rr.ser.yabapmat.ADCABD17-CRInys|tibbiM#moc.rr.ser.yabapmat.ADCABD17-CRInys|tibbiM) has left #afteraction
Sep 07 20:59:09 <WorkingDawn> Kay takes out her pen light and walks over to the shelves, scaning the lables.
Sep 07 21:00:00 <Waxx> The light is a great help. It manages to cut through the immediate darkness, but as soon as she turns it on, something scrambles noisily at the opposite end of the room. It isn't that large of a room, so they are only within about ten or fifteen feet of her.
Sep 07 21:00:23 <Waxx> Dawn, roll a 1d6 please
Sep 07 21:00:28 <Waxx> For…initiative.
Sep 07 21:00:33 <WorkingDawn> 1d6 mother whore
Sep 07 21:00:34 <Glacon> WorkingDawn: mother whore: 6 (1d6=6)
Sep 07 21:00:52 <Waxx> Go ahead and perform any action you'd like.
Sep 07 21:02:12 <WorkingDawn> Kay turns, scaning the area with her light, hand on her side arm.
Sep 07 21:02:25 <Waxx> Do you want to make any rolls?
Sep 07 21:02:39 <WorkingDawn> 4df+2 WTF was that?
Sep 07 21:02:39 <Glacon> WorkingDawn: WTF was that?: 4 (4df+2=0, +, 0, +)
Sep 07 21:04:39 <Waxx> Kay's eyes adjust to the light just in time to see a tall, but well built man standing only a few feet away, staring directly at her. His mouth is agape, seemingly in surprise. He wears Australian Army fatigues, with white and black patches sewn to his arms. He drops the can of soup he was just picking up and lunges for Kay. For some reason, she is keenly aware that the man has blonde
Sep 07 21:04:40 <Waxx> hair.
Sep 07 21:04:51 <Waxx> 4df+3 Lunging at Kay
Sep 07 21:04:52 <Glacon> Waxx: Lunging at Kay: 2 (4df+3=-, 0, +, -)
Sep 07 21:05:17 <WorkingDawn> 4df+3 fuck off bro
Sep 07 21:05:17 <Glacon> WorkingDawn: fuck off bro: 1 (4df+3=-, -, +, -)
Sep 07 21:06:08 <Waxx> The Insurgent makes contact and grapples with her, knocking the light to the floor and bathing the room in darkness. Lightning flashes, illuminating the blade of his knife as he holds it above Kay's head for just a moment.
Sep 07 21:06:11 <Waxx> Kay, make your move.
Sep 07 21:06:59 <WorkingDawn> 4df+3 Kay grabs her side arm and fires at him
Sep 07 21:06:59 <Glacon> WorkingDawn: Kay grabs her side arm and fires at him: 1 (4df+3=-, -, -, +)
Sep 07 21:07:56 <Waxx> 4df+3 Defense
Sep 07 21:07:56 <Glacon> Waxx: Defense: 2 (4df+3=0, -, +, -)
Sep 07 21:08:29 <Waxx> Kay's shot goes over the man's shoulder and puncturing a hole in the corrugated roof of the building. Water and light stream in as the thunderstorm intensifies.
Sep 07 21:08:53 <Waxx> The Insurgent screams in rage, trying to throw her to the ground.
Sep 07 21:08:56 <Waxx> 4df+3 Melee
Sep 07 21:08:56 <Glacon> Waxx: Melee: 5 (4df+3=+, -, +, +)
Sep 07 21:09:19 <WorkingDawn> 4df+3 please…
Sep 07 21:09:19 <Glacon> WorkingDawn: please…: 4 (4df+3=-, 0, +, +)
Sep 07 21:10:57 <Waxx> They struggle for a few moments. His foot swings at her and her knees buckle, causing both of them to lose balance and fall awkwardly to the ground in a heap. The knife flies from his hand, laying within reach of both of them. He yells again and goes to reach for it. Roll Athletics if you want to reach for it also.
Sep 07 21:11:35 <WorkingDawn> 4df+3 going for the knife
Sep 07 21:11:35 <Glacon> WorkingDawn: going for the knife: 3 (4df+3=-, +, +, -)
Sep 07 21:11:54 <Waxx> 4df+3 Also going for the knife
Sep 07 21:11:54 <Glacon> Waxx: Also going for the knife: 4 (4df+3=0, +, +, -)
Sep 07 21:12:29 <Waxx> He swats her hand away and grabs the hilt just a moment before she does. Immediately he rolls over and slashes again with it, momentarily gaining the upper hand.
Sep 07 21:12:34 <Waxx> 4df+3 Slashing
Sep 07 21:12:35 <Glacon> Waxx: Slashing: 4 (4df+3=+, +, 0, -)
Sep 07 21:13:01 <WorkingDawn> 4df+5 tapping Corpsman up! for defense
Sep 07 21:13:01 <Glacon> WorkingDawn: tapping Corpsman up! for defense: 3 (4df+5=-, -, -, +)
Sep 07 21:13:48 <Waxx> His knife swipes past her face, narrowly missing. She can feel the displacement of air and the hot moisture of his breath as he lunges forward again.
Sep 07 21:14:01 <Waxx> Though the blade misses her, he tackles her once again, pinning her down on the floor.
Sep 07 21:14:34 <WorkingDawn> 4df+3 Kay fires another round, because fuck this guy.
Sep 07 21:14:34 <Glacon> WorkingDawn: Kay fires another round, because fuck this guy.: 2 (4df+3=0, +, -, -)
Sep 07 21:14:54 <Waxx> He yells again, only inches from her face as he brings the knife around again for another thrust. Lightning flashes and you can see bared teeth coming down at you.
Sep 07 21:15:01 <Waxx> 4df+3 Defense
Sep 07 21:15:01 <Glacon> Waxx: Defense: 4 (4df+3=+, -, 0, +)
Sep 07 21:16:39 <Waxx> Her shot misses. He brings the knife down and plants it directly in the floorboards next to her, managing to draw blood from her cheek. He screams again, spit landing on her face.
Sep 07 21:17:57 <Waxx> She can see the color of his eyes and the abject terror on his face. He's not at all unlike her, really, just from a different place and of a different creed.
Sep 07 21:18:06 <Waxx> He's young, almost her age, maybe younger.
Sep 07 21:18:30 <Waxx> With the blade stuck in the floor for just a fraction of a second, it gives Kay a chance to riposte. Make your action.
Sep 07 21:19:27 <WorkingDawn> 4df+3 Kay grits her teeth and fires again. He might be a kid, but she's *not* going to die at his hands.
Sep 07 21:19:27 <Glacon> WorkingDawn: Kay grits her teeth and fires again. He might be a kid, but she's *not* going to die at his hands.: 2 (4df+3=-, +, -, 0)
Sep 07 21:19:46 <Waxx> 4df+3 Defense
Sep 07 21:19:47 <Glacon> Waxx: Defense: 1 (4df+3=-, 0, 0, -)
Sep 07 21:20:41 <Waxx> Her muzzle swings to meet him and she fires a round through the meat of his upper shoulder. No bone strikes, but it scares the shit out of the poor kid and takes a nice chunk of flesh away. The stun of this reversal of fortune momentarily pushes him off of her, allowing a quick follow up on Kay's part. Go ahead.
Sep 07 21:21:19 <WorkingDawn> 4df+3 another shot.
Sep 07 21:21:20 <Glacon> WorkingDawn: another shot.: 3 (4df+3=-, +, +, -)
Sep 07 21:21:59 <Waxx> 4df+3 Defense again
Sep 07 21:21:59 <Glacon> Waxx: Defense again: 0 (4df+3=-, -, 0, -)
Sep 07 21:22:47 <Waxx> Her second shot comes lower and shatters the man's shoulder. Roles completely reversed, he collapses on -his- back and screams in pain. Horrible, guttural, terrified screaming.
Sep 07 21:23:10 * Dexanote (~ten.elbacogc.emoh.8DF857A-CRInys|alliztahc#ten.elbacogc.emoh.8DF857A-CRInys|alliztahc) has joined #afteraction
Sep 07 21:23:26 * Strife (PI.D27C7677.26937DF1.0501ED89|tibbiM#PI.D27C7677.26937DF1.0501ED89|tibbiM) has joined #afteraction
Sep 07 21:23:37 <Waxx> Down but not defeated, he does all he can and kicks at her with his heavy soled boots.
Sep 07 21:23:39 <Waxx> 4df+3 Kicking
Sep 07 21:23:40 <Glacon> Waxx: Kicking: 5 (4df+3=0, 0, +, +)
Sep 07 21:24:10 <WorkingDawn> 4df+5 Taging Corpsman Up again
Sep 07 21:24:11 <Glacon> WorkingDawn: Taging Corpsman Up again: 5 (4df+5=-, +, +, -)
Sep 07 21:24:54 <Waxx> His foot makes contact with her for the briefest moment, giving her a flash of pain but nothing else. She keeps her footing, and the upper hand in the engagement.
Sep 07 21:25:22 <Waxx> The man rolls sideways to make use of his other arm and begins trying to push himself up to make another attack. Kay's turn.
Sep 07 21:25:50 <WorkingDawn> 4df+3 another shot. "Stay down, I don't want to kill you!"
Sep 07 21:25:51 <Glacon> WorkingDawn: another shot. "Stay down, I don't want to kill you!": 3 (4df+3=+, -, +, -)
Sep 07 21:26:01 <Waxx> 4df+2 Defense
Sep 07 21:26:01 <Glacon> Waxx: Defense: 3 (4df+2=-, +, +, 0)
Sep 07 21:26:41 <Waxx> The round shaves a crease along the man's cheek, eerily similar to the one he infliced upon Kay with his knife. He screams again, seemingly unable to formulate a coherent phrase be it either from rage or from fear.
Sep 07 21:26:45 <Waxx> Kay, roll a 1d6
Sep 07 21:26:50 <WorkingDawn> 1d6
Sep 07 21:26:50 <Glacon> WorkingDawn: 6 (1d6=6)
Sep 07 21:27:07 <Waxx> Your weapon cycles just fine. No jams this time.
Sep 07 21:27:54 <Waxx> The young man summons his last reserve of strength and tries to lunge forward again.
Sep 07 21:28:01 <Waxx> 4df+6 Final reserves
Sep 07 21:28:01 <Glacon> Waxx: Final reserves: 8 (4df+6=+, -, +, +)
Sep 07 21:28:46 <WorkingDawn> 4df+3 Shoot him before he gets to me
Sep 07 21:28:46 <Glacon> WorkingDawn: Shoot him before he gets to me: 3 (4df+3=0, 0, 0, 0)
Sep 07 21:29:11 <Waxx> Kay's shot misses, leaving her guard down long enough for him to tackle her in the stomach and bring them both down on the floor. Again.
Sep 07 21:30:26 <Waxx> His knife scores an automatic hit across her torso, slashing through her jacket and leaving an unpleasant gash along her side. No internal damage, but it hurts like a son of a bitch and bleeds just as badly.
Sep 07 21:31:17 <Salmander> "The weather sure is shitty."
Sep 07 21:31:40 <Waxx> The disparity of rolls allows him the advantage and he brings it down at her chest. Since the GM isn't a complete asshole, she manages to grab his arm at the last second, tip of the blade inches from her body.
Sep 07 21:31:46 <Dexanote> A cold wind blows. Chainshank, watching the sky, tilts his head.
Sep 07 21:32:21 <WorkingDawn> 4df+3 "You little slut, that hurt" Kay fires another shot
Sep 07 21:32:22 <Glacon> WorkingDawn: "You little slut, that hurt" Kay fires another shot: 4 (4df+3=+, -, +, 0)
Sep 07 21:32:37 <Waxx> 4df+3
Sep 07 21:32:40 <Waxx> 4df+3 hurf
Sep 07 21:32:40 <Glacon> Waxx: hurf: 1 (4df+3=+, -, -, -)
Sep 07 21:33:49 * ChanServ gives channel operator status to Dexanote
Sep 07 21:33:53 <Waxx> She places the gun to his chest and fires a round into him. The slide locks back and smoke rolls from an empty magazine. His eyes open wide in pain and he collapses onto her, the knife tumbling from his grip.
Sep 07 21:34:29 <Waxx> She can feel the weight of his body, the labor and heat of his dying breaths as his body falls on top of her. His blue eyes lock with hers and his mouth moves, as if to whimper or say something, but her bullet took the wind out of him.
Sep 07 21:35:08 <Waxx> There is a noticeable shift in his expression, his movements now.
Sep 07 21:35:30 <Waxx> It's as if he has crossed a line, the will to fight has left his body and his mind is consigned to the death she has delivered upon him.
Sep 07 21:36:19 <WorkingDawn> "Shh, shh" Kay cradles the dying boy for his last moments. "It'll stop hurting in a minute"
Sep 07 21:37:06 <Waxx> "Ma…ma….?" His eyes ficker to her, beginning to glaze over.
Sep 07 21:37:35 <Waxx> "M-….m-…" The last exhalation of breath. A bead of sweat drips from his nose.
Sep 07 21:38:12 <WorkingDawn> Kay brushes his hair out of his face and moves him off her. She grabs soup off the shelf and hobbles out.
Sep 07 21:38:18 <Dexanote> The scarecrow vanishes.
Sep 07 21:38:42 <Waxx> It is over. The rain continues to beat down. In time it will wash the blood away from this place.