Shaggy Dog: Requiem

Dec 25 16:18:01 <Artemis> Artemis follows the trail relatively easily, what with the blood and her distinctive tiny foot prints.
Dec 25 16:20:51 <Praetor> The trail also suggests something large was being dragged behind her, and stays on the path for several minutes of walking before ducking into an undergrowth of rough looking trees, weeds, and several thorn bushes to the west.
Dec 25 16:22:18 <Artemis> He stops before the barrier of growth and calls out to her.
Dec 25 16:24:04 <Praetor> There's a pause. "Come this way. Can't leave eggs now."
Dec 25 16:25:18 <Artemis> Artemis tugs his cloak around his body and secures it with the hooks. It would shrug off snags and thorns without problem as he carefully crawls into the underbrush.
Dec 25 16:27:20 <Praetor> Through the underbrush is a small cave, the entrance just high enough for the Denmother herself to walk in with ducking. Moss and lichen hangs from the entrance, partially obsecuring it like a tasseled entryway.
Dec 25 16:28:33 <Ragazzo> The schuck sits at the entryway, but on art's arrival rolls on to his side, out of the way.
Dec 25 16:28:59 <Ragazzo> Also somewhat obviously presenting itself for belly rubs.
Dec 25 16:29:36 <Artemis> Artemis pats the godthing on the belly as he passes, peering into the cave entrance.
Dec 25 16:32:42 * Praetor has quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
Dec 25 16:34:37 * Praetor (moc.rr.ser.submuloc.D8AEF7E5-CRInys|tibbiM#moc.rr.ser.submuloc.D8AEF7E5-CRInys|tibbiM) has joined #afteractionmission
Dec 25 16:37:26 <Praetor> The cave is lit by a strange eerie green glow, that seems to emanate from the HUNDREDS OF FUCKING EGGS HANGING FROM THE CEILING in slow pulses. The Denmother sits in the back, slightly crouched, her back to something invisible.
Dec 25 16:38:36 <Artemis> "Allo," he greets. "I heard what happened. Do you know where zhe last one is?"
Dec 25 16:39:15 <Praetor> She tilts her head questioningly. "Bearthing?"
Dec 25 16:39:27 <Artemis> "Bearthing." he confirms.
Dec 25 16:40:05 <Praetor> "Know." She nods. "Need to lick wounds for a ticktick." She makes a noise like a clock turning.
Dec 25 16:40:45 <Artemis> "Let us kill it for you. You will not need to leave your brood."
Dec 25 16:42:09 <Praetor> She seems skeptical. "My woods."
Dec 25 16:43:20 <Artemis> "Your woods," he agrees. "We will leave after the bearthing is gone, and we will do it for you."
Dec 25 16:44:42 <Praetor> She thinks. "Take dogthing. Leo-nard. Don't step on eggs."
Dec 25 16:46:33 <Artemis> "No more eggbreaking," he promises. From anything. He stands and pats the dogthing. "Let us go kill zhe last eggbreaker."
Dec 25 16:47:02 <Ragazzo> At the mention of his 'name' Schuck looks up at Artemis, and rises to his haunches.
Dec 25 16:47:27 <Artemis> He stoops down again. "Is it near?" he asks the mother.
Dec 25 16:47:41 <Ragazzo> His jaw splits open, and the soft white light once more pours from it, this time only a voice emanating. No ologram lady.
Dec 25 16:47:57 <Ragazzo> "Uh…hello? Artemis?"
Dec 25 16:48:09 <Ragazzo> It's lens' voice.
Dec 25 16:48:21 <Artemis> He turns. "Oui?"
Dec 25 16:49:41 <Ragazzo> "You're going to go hunt down the last of these beasts now, yes? If that's the case, I'm going to have to give you something to take with you."
Dec 25 16:50:05 <Ragazzo> "This one is ahhh…different."
Dec 25 16:50:16 <Artemis> "Oh?"
Dec 25 16:53:58 <Ragazzo> "Uh, yes, Look, it's better if I don't say more, you'll keep your confidence up that way. Just uh, steel your mind. And I hope you can handle a sword. Or one of your number at least."
Dec 25 16:55:10 <Artemis> "… I am familiar, oui."
Dec 25 16:55:27 <Ragazzo> The light intensifies for a moment, and then fades slightly. Art will see a sword hilt in the glimmering expanse that is the schuck's maw currently.
Dec 25 16:56:04 <Artemis> Artemis pulls it out carefully.
Dec 25 16:56:41 <Ragazzo> http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/093/9/9/vorpal_sword_by_teoniunia-d3d5zuz.png This, but minus all the glowing.
Dec 25 16:57:04 <Ragazzo> "You won't be getting to keep that. It's fairly valuable."
Dec 25 16:57:11 <Ragazzo> And then the schuck closes it's jaws.
Dec 25 16:57:31 <Ragazzo> It nudges art, as if to say 'let's go'.
Dec 25 16:57:50 <Artemis> "You know where, yes?" He asks the shuck.
Dec 25 16:58:01 <Ragazzo> Dognodding.
Dec 25 16:58:06 <Artemis> "Near?"
Dec 25 16:58:25 <Artemis> Artemis keys his radio.
Dec 25 16:58:30 <Ragazzo> Dognodding
Dec 25 16:58:38 <E4D> «Send it.»
Dec 25 16:59:37 <Artemis> «Zhe last beast is near. I have zhe dogsing. I suggest we hunt and kill before Christmas dinner.»
Dec 25 16:59:59 * Nioki (~ten.tniopriafym.tsae.ngn.F4FEFC7C-CRInys|alliztahc#ten.tniopriafym.tsae.ngn.F4FEFC7C-CRInys|alliztahc) has joined #afteractionmission
Dec 25 17:00:16 <E4D> «Gimme the radio trick again. I'll be there shortly. Got a little surprise.»
Dec 25 17:01:13 <Artemis> «Bring Lonce.» He does the radio thing.
Dec 25 17:01:36 <Artemis> Redact 'bring lonce'
Dec 25 17:08:36 <Ragazzo> The schuck nudges Art impatiently.
Dec 25 17:08:53 <Artemis> "Wait for zhe others, dog."
Dec 25 17:09:38 <Nioki> Alanoch walks up, trailed by black threads.
Dec 25 17:10:22 <Ragazzo> The sword is sheathed currently. The one art got.
Dec 25 17:11:12 <Artemis> Artemis tucks it into his belt.
Dec 25 17:12:34 * E4D is now known as Lex_Luthor
Dec 25 17:12:44 <Ragazzo> He'll note that it hums against his leg, as if the blade is moving, almost vibrating.
Dec 25 17:12:53 * Lex_Luthor is now known as E4D
Dec 25 17:12:53 * Notify: E4D is online (SCP and Related Channels).
Dec 25 17:13:09 <Nioki> "If I am given enough time to calculate their movement and location, I can create a mostly accurate illusory overlay."
Dec 25 17:13:31 <E4D> Jason arrives there in short order, dropping the .50 back to the "smartgun" carry.
Dec 25 17:13:43 <Artemis> Artemis is mostly just annoyed by having to carry the sword.
Dec 25 17:16:17 <Ragazzo> Schuck looks up at art.
Dec 25 17:16:23 <Ragazzo> Nudgenudgenudge.
Dec 25 17:16:55 <Artemis> "Lead on, dog."
Dec 25 17:17:18 <Ragazzo> It takes off at a speedy, but manageable pace.
Dec 25 17:18:15 <E4D> Jason takes up a position right and forward of Artemis, and slings the .50 to a shoulder carry before double-tapping his visor, "clearing" it and revealing a grin. <Thought I might as well bring Ma Deuce.>
Dec 25 17:18:36 <Artemis> "Best put it to good use," Artemis rhymes.
Dec 25 17:20:48 <Nioki> Alanoch follows, keeping quiet and listening.
Dec 25 17:23:09 <Ragazzo> The schuck guides the trio through the forest for several minutes, stopping suddenly, at a thick line of trees, and crouching. It looks over it's shoulder at those behind it, and creeps forward silently, and with some anticipation. It bristles, crossing through the line…
Dec 25 17:23:34 <Ragazzo> Mental defense, DC 1 guys
Dec 25 17:23:47 <E4D> 4df+4
Dec 25 17:23:48 <Grape> E4D: 4 (4df+4=-, -, +, +)
Dec 25 17:24:01 <Artemis> 4df+2
Dec 25 17:24:01 <Grape> Artemis: : -1 (4df+2=-, -, 0, -)
Dec 25 17:24:09 <Artemis> AP reroll
Dec 25 17:24:10 <Nioki> 4df+4
Dec 25 17:24:10 <Grape> Nioki: 2 (4df+4=-, -, 0, 0)
Dec 25 17:24:13 <Artemis> 4df+2
Dec 25 17:24:13 <Grape> Artemis: : 2 (4df+2=-, -, +, +)
Dec 25 17:26:27 <Ragazzo> All of you are struck by a sudden wave of dread, and fear, but push it down easily enough. At the same time, /something/ massive drops from the trees onto the black schuck. Not that you can see it, but it's large enough to pin the hound flat, despite it's efforts to rip and tear at the invisible attacker.
Dec 25 17:26:56 <Ragazzo> You can tell it's at least as large as the crocobear that attacked camp from the sound of it landing on the ground.
Dec 25 17:27:40 <E4D> <!>
Dec 25 17:28:04 <Artemis> 4df+5 Melee maneuver to Athletics, Artemis has a plan this time
Dec 25 17:28:04 <Grape> Artemis: Melee maneuver to Athletics, Artemis has a plan this time: 7 (4df+5=-, +, +, +)
Dec 25 17:28:06 <Ragazzo> The schuck is tearing the fuck out of the…claw…talon…hand…thing that is holding it down.
Dec 25 17:28:18 <Nioki> 4df+5 Perception->Luxomancy. Alanoch tracks the creature as best he can, using each movement it makes, each twig it touches, to find exactly where the creature is.
Dec 25 17:28:18 <Grape> Nioki: Perception->Luxomancy. Alanoch tracks the creature as best he can, using each movement it makes, each twig it touches, to find exactly where the creature is.: 3 (4df+5=-, 0, -, 0)
Dec 25 17:32:18 <E4D> 4df+7 Tagging Con1. This is about as severe as it gets. Jason opens fire with the big .50. He squeezes the butterfly trigger, slamming out a burst of about 10 rounds of 12.7x99mm, sweeping the barrel side-to-side over the shuck.
Dec 25 17:32:19 <Grape> E4D: Tagging Con1. This is about as severe as it gets. Jason opens fire with the big .50. He squeezes the butterfly trigger, slamming out a burst of about 10 rounds of 12.7x99mm, sweeping the barrel side-to-side over the shuck.: 8 (4df+7=+, -, +, 0)
Dec 25 17:32:37 <Ragazzo> 4df+5 Oooh boy
Dec 25 17:32:38 <Grape> Ragazzo: Oooh boy: 5 (4df+5=0, +, 0, -)
Dec 25 17:33:43 <E4D> Armor Piercing Incendiaries punch deep into monsters. And explode. And burn.
Dec 25 17:34:23 <Ragazzo> For a moment, a splash of blood and gore, and bone is visible in the air, and then blown away in a blaze of fire. An ear-piercing roar fills the forest, as the shcuck wriggles to it's feet, snarling, seemingly unhamred by the fire and explosions, and such.
Dec 25 17:34:54 <Ragazzo> But there is a nice blood stained malformed appendage visible now.
Dec 25 17:34:58 <Nioki> Alanoch smiles. That was the mark he needed.
Dec 25 17:36:00 <E4D> Jason backpedals, still firing, tapping out single rounds, a burst here and there.
Dec 25 17:36:17 <Ragazzo> ThudThudThud. Three large boom resounds throughout the clearing as the bloodstained appenade is brought closer, and drawn back.
Dec 25 17:36:39 <Ragazzo> 4df+5 Everyone phys .def
Dec 25 17:36:39 <Grape> Ragazzo: Everyone phys .def: 2 (4df+5=-, -, -, 0)
Dec 25 17:36:53 <Nioki> 4df+3
Dec 25 17:36:54 <Grape> Nioki: 1 (4df+3=-, 0, -, 0)
Dec 25 17:36:59 <Nioki> :|
Dec 25 17:37:10 <Artemis> 4df+5 Artemis deftly sidesteps….
Dec 25 17:37:11 <Grape> Artemis: Artemis deftly sidesteps….: 4 (4df+5=0, 0, 0, -)
Dec 25 17:38:41 <E4D> 4df+5 Jason's back a ways, and gives a little hop to the side as the MONSTER retaliates.
Dec 25 17:38:41 <Grape> E4D: Jason's back a ways, and gives a little hop to the side as the MONSTER retaliates.: 5 (4df+5=0, 0, -, +)
Dec 25 17:39:36 <Ragazzo> Everyone but alanoch will hear a woosh as air is shredded right in front of them. Alanoch will recieive three larges gashes across hsi chest.
Dec 25 17:39:42 <Ragazzo> One damage.
Dec 25 17:39:45 <Ragazzo> Your turn guys
Dec 25 17:40:41 <Nioki> Alanoch is slammed backwards, and he hisses from the pain. He was too busy watching to move in time.
Dec 25 17:41:05 <Nioki> 4df+7 Luxomancy. Action point. Roll stealth to counter.
Dec 25 17:41:06 <Grape> Nioki: Luxomancy. Action point. Roll stealth to counter.: 7 (4df+7=0, 0, -, +)
Dec 25 17:41:50 <E4D> Jason looks away, knowing that something incredibly retina-searing is probably about to do down.
Dec 25 17:42:11 <Ragazzo> 4df+6 Stealth
Dec 25 17:42:12 <Grape> Ragazzo: Stealth: 4 (4df+6=-, 0, 0, -)
Dec 25 17:43:23 <Nioki> Especially after that slash, the monster has no way to avoid it. Alanoch creates an image on top of it, a simplified representation done in softly glowing light. -2 defense, no more invisibility.
Dec 25 17:43:39 <Artemis> Just in time… Artemis brings the Earthshaker to bear and all four barrels erupt into the beast's howling maw…
Dec 25 17:44:00 <Artemis> 4df+8 Tagging CC
Dec 25 17:44:00 <Grape> Artemis: Tagging CC: 9 (4df+8=+, 0, 0, 0)
Dec 25 17:44:26 <Ragazzo> 4df+3 woops
Dec 25 17:44:26 <Grape> Ragazzo: woops: 3 (4df+3=0, +, 0, -)
Dec 25 17:44:27 <Nioki> He even highlights areas like the mouth, the eyes, and the wound/
Dec 25 17:44:36 <Artemis> Calculating damage…
Dec 25 17:44:52 <Nioki> The claws and fangs are shown in red.
Dec 25 17:46:24 <Artemis> 2 body damage (not quite three), As the shot and aluminum powder shred the beast's face and mouth, igniting in its fur and flesh.
Dec 25 17:47:29 <Nioki> Alanoch leans against a tree, concentrating through the pain. He keeps his focus, and the illusion.
Dec 25 17:47:31 <Artemis> Spend AP, -3 next Pdef roll due to being torn apart and on fire.
Dec 25 17:47:43 <Ragazzo> The 870 tumbles backward, or appears to at least, and sounds to as well. It's quite large indeed, now fulyl visible, and good god it is horrific.
Dec 25 17:48:02 <E4D> 4df+7 Ma Deuce speaks again as Jason charges back forward and to the side, about 45 degree offset from Artemis for a clear lane of fire. The barrel recoils with shot, belching flame and an ounce of lead with each round fired.
Dec 25 17:48:03 <Grape> E4D: Ma Deuce speaks again as Jason charges back forward and to the side, about 45 degree offset from Artemis for a clear lane of fire. The barrel recoils with shot, belching flame and an ounce of lead with each round fired.: 6 (4df+7=0, 0, 0, -)
Dec 25 17:48:12 <Ragazzo> At this moment, the black schuck takes it's changce and pounces, tearing the hell out of the monster's chest.
Dec 25 17:48:28 <Ragazzo> After jason fires.
Dec 25 17:48:39 <Ragazzo> Which is an auto success
Dec 25 17:51:40 <E4D> 1d2
Dec 25 17:51:40 <Grape> E4D: 1 (1d2=1)
Dec 25 17:52:40 <Ragazzo> 4df+5 Dum de dum
Dec 25 17:52:41 <Grape> Ragazzo: Dum de dum: 6 (4df+5=+, 0, 0, 0)
Dec 25 17:52:51 <Ragazzo> 4df+5 Defense for beastie
Dec 25 17:52:52 <Grape> Ragazzo: Defense for beastie: 5 (4df+5=+, -, -, +)
Dec 25 17:53:11 * Praetor is now known as Lex_Luthor
Dec 25 17:53:17 * Lex_Luthor is now known as Praetor
Dec 25 17:53:23 * ChanServ sets mode +a #afteractionmission Praetor
Dec 25 17:53:23 * ChanServ gives channel operator status to Praetor
Dec 25 17:54:57 <Ragazzo> The Black schuck rips further and further into 870's chest, and as it sinks into the ribcage proper, a painfully bright blaze erupts from it's jaws, filling the air around it with the odor of brimstone. In moments, all that is visible is a thin shell filled ash, of a monster that defies description. A little of everything. Birds…animals…eldritch.
Dec 25 17:55:32 <Nioki> Alanoch sags a little, and the light goes out.
Dec 25 17:55:35 <Ragazzo> *filled with
Dec 25 17:55:55 <E4D> <…> Jason stays back for a moment, weapon still aimed at the thing.
Dec 25 17:56:09 <Nioki> "Ow."
Dec 25 17:56:41 <Ragazzo> The schuck backs away, and the hellfire pouring from it's sockets, and mouth slowly fade back to the soft white of before.
Dec 25 17:57:15 <E4D> Jason looks back to Alanoch. <Sit down, Al, and hold still.>
Dec 25 17:57:26 <Nioki> He does so.
Dec 25 17:57:53 <Nioki> "Next time, I'm going invisible first."
Dec 25 17:58:53 <E4D> <I heard that.> He kneels beside Alanoch, pulling his IFAK out and placing it beside him, the resting his handgun on the ground next to it. <Lift the shirt. You got any trouble breathin'?>
Dec 25 18:00:36 <Nioki> Alanoch does so.
Dec 25 18:00:58 <Nioki> "No."
Dec 25 18:01:11 <Artemis> Artemis watches the slain beast die, drawing the sword from his belt. Didnt even need this fuckin thing.
Dec 25 18:03:11 <Nioki> How serious is the wound, Ragazzo?
Dec 25 18:03:18 <E4D> < I know you don't like bein' touched, so here ya go.> Jason lays out a considerable amount of gauze, triple-A, a trio of dressings, and medical tape. <Hold the gauze on for a bit. Anti-coagulant. Smear the gel shit on top of it, and then dress it with the bandage. Use the tape if it don't hold.>
Dec 25 18:03:33 <Nioki> "Thank you."
Dec 25 18:03:43 <Ragazzo> Three deep gouges. They're pretty wicked, but nothing he can't recover from with a few days bedrest.
Dec 25 18:03:55 <Nioki> He sets to work.
Dec 25 18:04:02 <Ragazzo> No internal damage
Dec 25 18:04:06 <Nioki> 4df+4 Mdef. Focus through the pain.
Dec 25 18:04:07 <Grape> Nioki: Mdef. Focus through the pain.: 4 (4df+4=0, -, +, 0)
Dec 25 18:04:28 <Nioki> In spite of being partially mauled, he seems calm.
Dec 25 18:05:36 <Artemis> Artemis walks up to the shuck. "Dog. Here." Artemis sheathes the sword and removes it from his belt.
Dec 25 18:06:15 <Nioki> He carefully goes about setting the bandages, then stands and presses the wound in a few different places.
Dec 25 18:06:24 <Ragazzo> Schuck pads over, looking at the sword.
Dec 25 18:06:54 <Ragazzo> He grips in his teeth.
Dec 25 18:07:23 <E4D> <You okay to move, Al?> Jason's still kneeling. He gathers the gear, holsters the pistol, and stands.
Dec 25 18:08:01 <Artemis> Artemis lets the sword go, uncaring for its fate.
Dec 25 18:09:57 <Nioki> "Yes. This is only slightly more painful than overstressing my powers."
Dec 25 18:11:11 <Artemis> "You two go back. I am going to see zhe forest woman." Artemis starts back the way they came.
Dec 25 18:11:52 <Ragazzo> The schuck just -voips-
Dec 25 18:12:54 <Nioki> Alanoch begins to walk back towards the camp.
Dec 25 18:14:59 <Praetor> The underbrush is still there.
Dec 25 18:16:24 <Artemis> Artemis stands before the brush. "Come out, forest mother, your last beast is slain."
Dec 25 18:17:05 <Praetor> Pause. Rustle.
Dec 25 18:19:20 <Artemis> Artemis crouches down to be more level with her height, not wanting to stand over her.
Dec 25 18:20:13 <Praetor> She exits the brush as if it weren't a physical thing, coming out with a skeptical look on her face.
Dec 25 18:20:46 <Artemis> "Come, I will show you." He starts off in the direction of the beast's corpse.
Dec 25 18:22:25 <Praetor> "No. I smell bad-death-black-blood and you are not dead, so it must be gone."
Dec 25 18:23:03 <Ragazzo> The schuck has left the forest too
Dec 25 18:23:06 <Artemis> He stops and smiles. "No more eggbreakers. We will leave tomorrow."
Dec 25 18:23:06 <Ragazzo> If she cares.
Dec 25 18:24:03 <Praetor> She tilts her head. "Good."
Dec 25 18:24:09 <Praetor> She thinks. "I tell you thing."
Dec 25 18:24:38 <Praetor> She steps over to the underbrush, pushes aside a thorn bush, and digs where it sat for a moment.
Dec 25 18:24:52 <Artemis> He crouches at her eye level again, watching.
Dec 25 18:25:19 <Praetor> She soon dislodges enough of the dirt to reveal…white cloth…
Dec 25 18:26:05 <Praetor> This is a lab coat. Several lab coats. Over several skeletons. The red Chinese star stands proudly on the coats' chest.
Dec 25 18:26:14 <Artemis> Artemis brow quirks.
Dec 25 18:26:32 <Praetor> Denmother eggs glow faintly in their rib cages, visible.
Dec 25 18:26:57 <Artemis> "Ah… what is…"
Dec 25 18:27:44 <Praetor> "Don't know. Bad folk. Needles." She shivers. "Killed them."
Dec 25 18:28:15 <Artemis> he peers over the bodies, rummaging through their coats. "Zhey hurt you?"
Dec 25 18:28:16 <Praetor> "Buried them for some reason."
Dec 25 18:29:09 <Praetor> She thinks…"Ticktick." She makes the clock sound again. "Long time ago."
Dec 25 18:29:39 <Artemis> "Ticktick," Artemis repeats, pondering what that could mean.
Dec 25 18:30:32 <Praetor> Chinese PLA IDs are the only present they have on their person that Artemis can reach, and the Denmother seems hesitant to allow him to move them.
Dec 25 18:30:58 * Ragazzo has quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
Dec 25 18:32:06 <Praetor> It probably occurs to Artemis that these men couldn't have reached this level of deterioration in the half a year since the event.
Dec 25 18:35:05 <Artemis> Artemis takes on of the IDs and looks it over. He stands up. "My comrades may wish to have a look at zhese before we leave. Could I ask you to allow zhem to search, or perhaps could you relocate zhe eggs?"
Dec 25 18:36:32 <Praetor> "Can't move eggs. Take cards. I tell you this, not others."
Dec 25 18:37:05 <Praetor> She reaches down into the man's rib cage to demostrate, turning it - the egg's roots are literally embedded into the black bone.
Dec 25 18:38:23 <Artemis> Artemis nods. "You infected zhem. I see." He takes the IDs. "Thank you for showing me. We will be gone tomorrow, you are welcome there until we leave."
Dec 25 18:39:03 <Praetor> She looks at the bald man for a second. "What name?"
Dec 25 18:39:23 <Artemis> "Artemis."
Dec 25 18:39:45 <Praetor> "Call third brood Artemis." She clicks her teeth, and then disappears back into the brush without another word.
Dec 25 18:40:07 <Artemis> "Merci," he says with a smile, then starts back to camp.