The Sniper

Feb 04 18:55:45 <Artemis> Zoe, roll physical defense.
Feb 04 18:56:00 <Tom90deg> 4df+6 (1 AP)
Feb 04 18:56:00 <CROM> Tom90deg: (1 AP): 6 (4df+6=-, 0, +, 0)
Feb 04 18:56:29 <Artemis> 4df+5 …
Feb 04 18:56:30 <CROM> Artemis: …: 7 (4df+5=+, -, +, +)
Feb 04 18:57:32 <Artemis> This is an insta-kill attempt, roll again
Feb 04 18:57:36 <Artemis> 4df+3 vs this
Feb 04 18:57:36 <CROM> Artemis: vs this: 2 (4df+3=0, -, +, -)
Feb 04 18:58:20 <Tom90deg> 4df+6 (Ap 1)
Feb 04 18:58:21 <CROM> Tom90deg: (Ap 1): 5 (4df+6=-, -, +, 0)
Feb 04 18:58:23 <Sir_Chancealot> Tim makes his way back up to the campfire.
Feb 04 18:58:36 <Sir_Chancealot> "Hey, uhh, what's going on?"
Feb 04 18:58:46 <Artemis> Paused.
Feb 04 19:01:22 <Artemis> Out of nowhere, an eerie whistling retort sounds just before Zoe is struck by the subsonic .50 cal bullet. It enters her mouth mid-word and bursts out her rear cheek, clipping her jaw bone -ever so slightly- as it passes and thuds into the ground many yards behind her, bouncing on its way into the brush.
Feb 04 19:01:26 <Artemis> Unpause.
Feb 04 19:01:49 <Dexanote> Sadler stumbles back and OH GOD WHAT
Feb 04 19:02:00 <Sir_Chancealot> Tim rushes to the campfire.
Feb 04 19:02:06 * Light hesitates for just a second, then attempts to grab Zoe and pull them both to the ground.
Feb 04 19:02:09 <Sir_Chancealot> "What's wrong?"
Feb 04 19:02:11 <Dexanote> "ZOE!"
Feb 04 19:02:28 <Maddy> <EVERYONE DOWN!>
Feb 04 19:02:32 <Tom90deg> Zoe blinks, falling back to the ground, blood begining to pool around her head, eyes closing.
Feb 04 19:02:34 <Sir_Chancealot> Tim drops to the ground.
Feb 04 19:02:38 <Nioki> 4df+4 Stealth. Alanoch vanishes.
Feb 04 19:02:38 <Lilah> Adhelami sits up from her tent. What was that…??
Feb 04 19:02:39 <CROM> Nioki: Stealth. Alanoch vanishes.: 4 (4df+4=+, -, +, -)
Feb 04 19:02:54 <Artemis> Tim, Physical Defense
Feb 04 19:02:56 <Ragazzo> Lancius eyes snap towards Zoe, and then he drops, eyes scanning for the surroundings.
Feb 04 19:02:59 <Dexanote> Sadler drops.
Feb 04 19:03:06 <E4D> Jason drops to the ground, diving on top of ALice.
Feb 04 19:03:08 <Ragazzo> *-for
Feb 04 19:03:10 <Sir_Chancealot> 4df+3
Feb 04 19:03:10 <CROM> Sir_Chancealot: 0 (4df+3=-, -, -, 0)
Feb 04 19:03:15 <Sir_Chancealot> Fuck my life
Feb 04 19:03:22 <Nioki> He moves to the LAV, taking cover behind it despite his invisibilty.
Feb 04 19:03:23 <PaulS_worktop> John staggers out of the LAV
Feb 04 19:03:25 <Artemis> 4df+3 …
Feb 04 19:03:25 <CROM> Artemis: …: 5 (4df+3=+, +, -, +)
Feb 04 19:03:29 <PaulS_worktop> he still has no idea what the fuck
Feb 04 19:03:33 <Artemis> Pause
Feb 04 19:03:36 <E4D> <ARTEMIS! WHERE'S THE SHOOTER! EVERYONE! SOUND THE FUCK OFF!>
Feb 04 19:04:27 <Artemis> This is an instakill against Tim. Roll defense again, Tim.
Feb 04 19:04:30 <Artemis> 4df+3 vs this
Feb 04 19:04:31 <CROM> Artemis: vs this: 2 (4df+3=0, +, -, -)
Feb 04 19:04:34 * Light pulls… a hat out of her pocket, and uses it to puts pressure on Zoe's wound, while she's next to her.
Feb 04 19:04:36 <Dexanote> "Zoe's hit!" Sadler shouts. «THE FUCK WAS THAT?!» Myrtle inquires over the radio.
Feb 04 19:04:38 <Sir_Chancealot> 4df+3
Feb 04 19:04:39 <CROM> Sir_Chancealot: 4 (4df+3=0, 0, 0, +)
Feb 04 19:04:43 <Maddy> Still paused guys
Feb 04 19:07:02 * Heiden (~ten.htuoslleb.mem.F92B4D3B-CRInys|nedieH#ten.htuoslleb.mem.F92B4D3B-CRInys|nedieH) has joined #afteraction
Feb 04 19:07:02 * ChanServ gives channel operator status to Heiden
Feb 04 19:07:19 <Artemis> Tim's scalp is shaved by the second shot, carving a deep gouge along his head. It's a miracle it was as high as it was, only scraping his skull. It doesn't knock him unconscious at least.
Feb 04 19:07:22 <Artemis> Unpause
Feb 04 19:07:31 * Light has quit (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
Feb 04 19:07:44 <Sir_Chancealot> Tim's hand shoots up to the top of his head, touching the wound.
Feb 04 19:07:53 <TauV> 4df+4 MDEF to Magic. Tau looks up from her spot in the trailer, exhaling, eyes widening. Chimes, give me chimes, Pazuzu.
Feb 04 19:07:53 <CROM> TauV: MDEF to Magic. Tau looks up from her spot in the trailer, exhaling, eyes widening. Chimes, give me chimes, Pazuzu.: 5 (4df+4=0, -, +, +)
Feb 04 19:08:03 * Doctor_Light (ten.tsacmoc.aw.1dsh.5300FD19-CRInys|tibbiM#ten.tsacmoc.aw.1dsh.5300FD19-CRInys|tibbiM) has joined #afteraction
Feb 04 19:08:05 <Sir_Chancealot> He drops to the ground and rolls until he finds the nearest cover.
Feb 04 19:08:06 <Nioki> 4df+5 Perception. Alanoch focuses, seeing infrared, looking for their assailant(s).
Feb 04 19:08:06 <CROM> Nioki: Perception. Alanoch focuses, seeing infrared, looking for their assailant(s).: 6 (4df+5=+, +, -, 0)
Feb 04 19:08:12 <E4D> Jason charges the short distance to the LAV and mounts the gun.
Feb 04 19:08:14 <Artemis> 4df+6 dont mind me…
Feb 04 19:08:15 <CROM> Artemis: dont mind me…: 6 (4df+6=+, -, +, -)
Feb 04 19:08:19 <Dexanote> 4df+4 Myrtle stealths, waking up near the LAV.
Feb 04 19:08:20 <CROM> Dexanote: Myrtle stealths, waking up near the LAV.: 2 (4df+4=+, -, -, -)
Feb 04 19:08:28 <Ragazzo> 4df+5 Tagging cat's eye, lancius' head pivots, trying to find the shooter.
Feb 04 19:08:29 <CROM> Ragazzo: Tagging cat's eye, lancius' head pivots, trying to find the shooter.: 7 (4df+5=+, +, 0, 0)
Feb 04 19:08:30 <E4D> Without hesitation, he begins raking the treeline with minigun fire.
Feb 04 19:08:40 <Dexanote> Fiating her offsceen, working with sadler.
Feb 04 19:08:49 <Doctor_Light> Light does what I said she did.
Feb 04 19:09:00 <Maddy> Alice crawls to Zoe to help Light.
Feb 04 19:09:04 <Doctor_Light> 4df+4 Perception, listening for weird footsteps in the trees
Feb 04 19:09:04 <CROM> Doctor_Light: Perception, listening for weird footsteps in the trees: 3 (4df+4=-, 0, +, -)
Feb 04 19:09:10 * Doctor_Light is now known as Light
Feb 04 19:09:13 <Lilah> Adhelami decides to peek out of her tent, because leaving doesn't seem like a good idea. She spots the two wounded people and gasps.
Feb 04 19:09:21 <E4D> He sweeps the weapon in wide arcs, not particularly aiming, but focusing fire on likely target locations for a few seconds at a time.
Feb 04 19:09:26 <E4D> BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Feb 04 19:09:33 <Sir_Chancealot> I look around for Sadler.
Feb 04 19:09:36 <PaulS_worktop> 4df+4 tagging And The Answer Is A Gun, John reaches into the LAV and, straining, pulls out the M82. He's looking for targets.
Feb 04 19:09:37 <CROM> PaulS_worktop: tagging And The Answer Is A Gun, John reaches into the LAV and, straining, pulls out the M82. He's looking for targets.: 3 (4df+4=0, -, -, +)
Feb 04 19:09:38 <Tom90deg> Zoe is passed out, lieing on the ground, blood bubbling from the hole in her mouth
Feb 04 19:09:45 <Artemis> Too many shadows, Alanoch. Lance, with his magnificent cat's eye, sees an unnatural movement about a hundred yards into the woods…. but Jason's chain fire quickly obscures it.
Feb 04 19:09:56 <Dexanote> He's juts pressed down in the snow, huddled against the LAV.
Feb 04 19:10:24 <Maddy> 4df+4 Alice is doing what she can to stop the bleeding and asses the damage
Feb 04 19:10:25 <CROM> Maddy: Alice is doing what she can to stop the bleeding and asses the damage: 5 (4df+4=-, 0, +, +)
Feb 04 19:10:30 <Ragazzo> «Jason! 100 yards out, where you were just firing! Focus there!»
Feb 04 19:11:27 <Artemis> On Jason's call, Artemis rushes into the woods, careful to stay off to the side of Jason's fire and any other fire.
Feb 04 19:11:33 <E4D> 4df+5 Jason swings the weapon back around, never letting off the trigger. 6000 rounds per minute of 7.62x51mm fly into the brush.
Feb 04 19:11:34 <CROM> E4D: Jason swings the weapon back around, never letting off the trigger. 6000 rounds per minute of 7.62x51mm fly into the brush.: 2 (4df+5=0, -, -, -)
Feb 04 19:11:55 <Ragazzo> Lancius gets to his fet, and sprints after art, following his path.
Feb 04 19:11:56 <Nioki> "…That does it. I am out of patience."
Feb 04 19:11:58 <Ragazzo> *feet
Feb 04 19:12:02 <TauV> 4df+7 Pulse. Ripples in the pond - find the shooter's gun and disable it.
Feb 04 19:12:03 <CROM> TauV: Pulse. Ripples in the pond - find the shooter's gun and disable it.: 7 (4df+7=-, 0, +, 0)
Feb 04 19:12:05 <PaulS_worktop> 4df+7 And The Answer is A Gun. John takes aim in the general vacinity, searching for a likely target. He braces himself against the LAV, gun feeling inordinately heavy in his hands. *Bang*. *Bang.* *Bang*. He fires off single rounds at anything that looks remotely distinct
Feb 04 19:12:05 <CROM> PaulS_worktop: And The Answer is A Gun. John takes aim in the general vacinity, searching for a likely target. He braces himself against the LAV, gun feeling inordinately heavy in his hands. *Bang*. *Bang.* *Bang*. He fires off single rounds at anything that looks remotely distinct: 9 (4df+7=+, +, -, +)
Feb 04 19:12:37 <Tom90deg> 4df+1 Wounds
Feb 04 19:12:38 <CROM> Tom90deg: Wounds: 3 (4df+1=-, +, +, +)
Feb 04 19:13:17 <Maddy> Alice is able to staunch the bleeding and begins field dressing the wound before trying to haul Zoe into the LAV.
Feb 04 19:13:20 <E4D> He releases hte trigger, letting the weapon spool down.
Feb 04 19:13:43 <Nioki> 4df+5 Perception->Luxomancy. Alanoch focuses, finding scraps of light and pulling them in, calculating where the assailant could still be.
Feb 04 19:13:43 <CROM> Nioki: Perception->Luxomancy. Alanoch focuses, finding scraps of light and pulling them in, calculating where the assailant could still be.: 5 (4df+5=-, +, 0, 0)
Feb 04 19:14:17 <Light> Sophia helps Alice move her, carefully- her eyes are blurring, and the only-slowly-diminishing pounding in her head is so /distracting/.
Feb 04 19:14:27 <E4D> <CEASE FIRE! CEASE FUCKIN' FIRE!>
Feb 04 19:14:40 <Artemis> Trees and shadows, a lot of bullets tear into a lot of nothing. Alanoch estimates the assassin should be about…. over there, 150 yards and more every second.
Feb 04 19:15:02 <Artemis> Tau feels -something- out there break of her will.
Feb 04 19:15:16 <Nioki> Alanoch, no longer focusing on staying hidden, appears. He points.
Feb 04 19:15:24 <Maddy> «Sound off! Who's injured?»
Feb 04 19:15:37 <Sir_Chancealot> Tim groans, "Right here."
Feb 04 19:15:46 <Nioki> Black threads swirl around him, barely visible in the darkness, obscuring his form.
Feb 04 19:15:55 <Maddy> Alice is in the LAV and likely can't hear Tim from there
Feb 04 19:15:55 <Sir_Chancealot> His hand is completely covered in ruby liquid.
Feb 04 19:15:58 <Nioki> «Permission to attack?»
Feb 04 19:16:04 <PaulS_worktop> «Al, see anything?» he sounds quite wore out
Feb 04 19:16:05 <TauV> Tau folds her hands and waits.
Feb 04 19:16:11 <E4D> «Engage, Alanoch.»
Feb 04 19:16:27 <E4D> «Fuck this motherfucker up.»
Feb 04 19:16:34 <Ragazzo> «I am with artemis, pursuing our assailants. Should I return?»
Feb 04 19:16:37 <Tom90deg> Zoe's eyes flutter a bit, muttering something softly.
Feb 04 19:17:01 <Nioki> 4df+9 Maneuver, Tagging mind over matter for +2, fate point spent for spell.
Feb 04 19:17:01 <Maddy> <Don't talk, Zoe. Your jaw is right fucked.>
Feb 04 19:17:01 <CROM> Nioki: Maneuver, Tagging mind over matter for +2, fate point spent for spell.: 6 (4df+9=-, -, 0, -)
Feb 04 19:17:04 <Artemis> «Steering wide from cross fire, engage at your discretion,» Artemis assures.
Feb 04 19:17:08 <Nioki> …Tag for a reroll?
Feb 04 19:17:14 <Artemis> if you like
Feb 04 19:17:33 <Tom90deg> Zoe makes a writing motion with her hand, wincing in pain as she tried to talk
Feb 04 19:17:36 <Nioki> 4df+9 Obey me, Crom.
Feb 04 19:17:37 <CROM> Nioki: Obey me, Crom.: 10 (4df+9=+, 0, -, +)
Feb 04 19:17:43 <Artemis> Have a +4.
Feb 04 19:18:11 * PaulS_worktop has quit (No route to host)
Feb 04 19:18:18 * PaulS_worktop (~moc.rr.zib.es.0BDA26FA-CRInys|_nrehtuoS#moc.rr.zib.es.0BDA26FA-CRInys|_nrehtuoS) has joined #afteraction
Feb 04 19:18:55 <Nioki> For a moment, the sky goes out. There is complete darkness as Alanoch turns every scrap of light withing a good half a mile towards one place.
Feb 04 19:19:18 <TauV> Tau closes her eyes and smiles.
Feb 04 19:19:27 <Nioki> He only has an estimation of where the assailant could be, so he hits every possibility within it.
Feb 04 19:19:31 <Maddy> <One sec.> Alice dig out a pad an pencil.
Feb 04 19:19:36 * Light frowns, she heard another body fall, she swore- she goes towards the door of the LAV and pauses at the sky.
Feb 04 19:19:41 <Nioki> «Close your eyes.»
Feb 04 19:20:06 <Maddy> Alice darkens her faceplate
Feb 04 19:20:08 <Artemis> «Oui» oh god the light kid is goign to burn the forest down… Artemis crouches and shuts his eyes.
Feb 04 19:20:12 <Ragazzo> Lancius squeezes his eyes shut, halting for a moment.
Feb 04 19:20:15 <Light> Oh, it's just- well. There's a bleeding dude. She pauses in her path towards him and puts a hand over her eyes.
Feb 04 19:20:34 <Lilah> Adhhami, crouched, covers her face.
Feb 04 19:20:37 <Dexanote> Myr bries her face in her hands.
Feb 04 19:20:47 <Dexanote> Sadler, in his shirt.
Feb 04 19:20:50 <Dexanote> *buries
Feb 04 19:20:54 <Nioki> The forest catches fire in the places where it isn't simply turned to dust. It's like the effect of everyone in a football stadium holding a mirror towards a single place.
Feb 04 19:21:09 <Nioki> Except, of course, on a much larger scale.
Feb 04 19:21:15 <Sir_Chancealot> Tim recites the Lord's prayer over and over again.
Feb 04 19:21:26 <PaulS_worktop> 4df+4 ATIAG, survival -> ranged. John is letting Alanoch's lightnuke illuminate his targets as he continues searching for the target, just to be sure
Feb 04 19:21:28 <CROM> PaulS_worktop: ATIAG, survival -> ranged. John is letting Alanoch's lightnuke illuminate his targets as he continues searching for the target, just to be sure: 4 (4df+4=-, 0, 0, +)
Feb 04 19:22:08 <Artemis> No targets, John…
Feb 04 19:22:27 <PaulS_worktop> «Holy fuck»
Feb 04 19:22:41 <Nioki> There's a wash of heat and a sudden wind as Alanoch strikes.
Feb 04 19:23:18 * PaulS_worktop1 (~moc.rr.zib.es.0BDA26FA-CRInys|_nrehtuoS#moc.rr.zib.es.0BDA26FA-CRInys|_nrehtuoS) has joined #afteraction
Feb 04 19:23:27 * PaulS_worktop has quit (Broken pipe)
Feb 04 19:23:53 <Nioki> The decimated forest leaves little cover behind, and the burning brush provides illumination.
Feb 04 19:26:11 * TauV is now known as Praetor
Feb 04 19:26:15 * ChanServ sets mode +a #afteraction Praetor
Feb 04 19:26:15 * ChanServ gives channel operator status to Praetor
Feb 04 19:26:16 <Artemis> There's nothing left in a huge field of ash. -Nothing-.
Feb 04 19:26:51 <Nioki> Alanoch slumps against the LAV, spent.
Feb 04 19:27:09 * Praetor sets ban on *!*@synIRC-1BE9F071.wi.res.rr.com
Feb 04 19:27:09 * Praetor has kicked Sir_Chancealot from #afteraction (Praetor)
Feb 04 19:27:30 * Praetor is now known as TauV
Feb 04 19:28:06 <Artemis> «…. what have you done….»
Feb 04 19:28:26 <Artemis> On the edge of the destruction, Artemis is horrified.
Feb 04 19:28:51 <Ragazzo> Lancius frowns.
Feb 04 19:28:59 <Light> Assume Light didn't leave the LAV, then.
Feb 04 19:29:04 <Nioki> «Mass redirection of light combined with a variable shift to promote generation of heat on contact with physical objects.»
Feb 04 19:29:05 <Ragazzo> «We will have attracted attention. We should move.»
Feb 04 19:29:06 <Tom90deg> Zoe takes the pencil and paper, writing quickly. "can you get the bullet? wnat to make a necklace." She gives a weak smile, and a wince of pain as she does so as she hands it to Alice.
Feb 04 19:29:11 <Lilah> "T-The…" Adhelami looks up at it all from her tent, eyes wide.
Feb 04 19:29:29 <PaulS_worktop1> «…Beautiful»
Feb 04 19:29:35 <TauV> «Jason, are the tires still fucked?»
Feb 04 19:29:39 <Dexanote> Myr looks up
Feb 04 19:29:42 <Dexanote> Sadler looks up.
Feb 04 19:29:44 <Dexanote> Oh god.
Feb 04 19:30:00 <Maddy> Alice nods. <I'll try to find it.>
Feb 04 19:30:20 <Artemis> «S-….»
Feb 04 19:30:20 <Artemis> «Searching for hostile…»
Feb 04 19:30:25 <Tom90deg> Zoe gives a thumbs up and smiles, again wincing as she hurts herself again. She just won't learn.
Feb 04 19:30:30 <Artemis> Artemis starts out into the blackened field.
Feb 04 19:30:36 <Light> Sophia sticks her head out of the LAV. She looks around.
Feb 04 19:30:40 <E4D> «We gotta install a new, patch two, and rotate them to the middle…»
Feb 04 19:30:56 <PaulS_worktop1> «Tau, can you gimmie a hand with the tires?» Yep, he's in pain. And too stubborn to admit it.
Feb 04 19:31:14 <TauV> «I believe what Alanoch just did was visible from space…so…» She coughs.
Feb 04 19:31:15 <Ragazzo> "Artemis, there won't be anything alive out there."
Feb 04 19:31:23 <Ragazzo> He follows the man all the same.
Feb 04 19:31:28 <PaulS_worktop1> He's propping himself up with the M82A4
Feb 04 19:31:52 <Nioki> «I shielded the top and sides to prevent a repeat of the first time.»
Feb 04 19:32:52 <Nioki> «It will have been visible for several miles, though, so we should move.»
Feb 04 19:33:31 <Dexanote> There's the sound of thunder, as the Site vanishes.
Feb 04 19:33:32 <Maddy> «Lets check out own casualties, t-then get the hell out of here.»
Feb 04 19:33:36 <PaulS_worktop1> John drags his sorry ass over to the requisite equipment, before lugging it to the tire that needs install
Feb 04 19:33:58 <Lilah> Adhelami finally comes scurrying out from her tent, gulping… Wow, this is just…
Feb 04 19:34:05 <PaulS_worktop1> «Tau…*grunt*…can you patch things up while I *grunt* change this one»
Feb 04 19:34:08 <E4D> <WHAT THE FUCK. Alice, who's hurt? Zoe and who else?>
Feb 04 19:34:12 <Artemis> Artemis soon abandons the attempts to find a solid body. There aren't even tree stumps.
Feb 04 19:34:22 <Maddy> «I don't know.»
Feb 04 19:34:22 <PaulS_worktop1> 4df+4 engineering. Changing a tire while injured to fuck and back.
Feb 04 19:34:23 <CROM> PaulS_worktop1: engineering. Changing a tire while injured to fuck and back.: 2 (4df+4=-, -, -, +)
Feb 04 19:34:37 <TauV> «Jesus christi, John, we're both in no shape…ack…»
Feb 04 19:34:56 <TauV> She rolls down. "God damn my eyes, ack, ack."
Feb 04 19:35:20 <E4D> «You two, stand the the fuck down. We need you both alive. So sit back, and relax. Everyone else, roger up right the hell now.»
Feb 04 19:35:40 <Ragazzo> «Lancius here.»
Feb 04 19:35:44 <Nioki> Alanoch stands. He's a bit wobbly.
Feb 04 19:35:51 <Maddy> «I'm in the LAV with Zoe.»
Feb 04 19:35:57 <Nioki> There's that nosebleed.
Feb 04 19:36:05 <PaulS_worktop1> John, meanwhile, is still too fucked up to effectively get the tire off
Feb 04 19:36:21 <TauV> Slight alteration: the sniper hit the D-Class Tim in the face and killed him with a .50 caliber headshot.
Feb 04 19:36:40 <Artemis> Yes. Tim is very, very dead.
Feb 04 19:36:42 <Lilah> Adhelami, speechless, decides to sit. It's difficult to even think right now…
Feb 04 19:36:44 <Artemis> Dead on shot.
Feb 04 19:37:23 <Nioki> "Is there any sign of remains? We cannot take chances with this."
Feb 04 19:37:39 <Maddy> «Any other wounded?»
Feb 04 19:38:00 <Ragazzo> «I am not seeing anything.»
Feb 04 19:38:12 <Ragazzo> Lancius looks for the signs of anything more then ashes.
Feb 04 19:38:16 <Artemis> "Zhere is nosing," Artemis says lowly as he reenters camp, starign at Alanoch as he comes by to get into the vehicle.
Feb 04 19:38:37 <Ragazzo> Lancius heads back witha rt.
Feb 04 19:38:53 <Light> «The big new guy is dead.» Light heard the body fall. «I'm with Zoe and Alice, and I still have a migraine, but I'll get the SUV unless anyone else wants to.»
Feb 04 19:38:58 <Lilah> Adhelami is sitting quietly, stunned, inside the vehicle. She glances at Artemis, and back down.
Feb 04 19:39:27 <Nioki> "Then we should probably assume that they survived."